|NWP looking for Wilderness Inventory Field Coordinator|
|Written by Wild Nevada|
|Tuesday, 29 May 2012 10:29|
Position Title: Wilderness Inventory Field Coordinator
Location: Reno, Nevada with field work on lands managed by the Battle Mountain & Carson City BLM
Application Deadline: June 4, 2012 or sooner
Position Term: Early June-September (some flexibility)
Position Summary: The Nevada Wilderness Project and the Friends of Nevada Wilderness are recruiting a full-time seasonal Wilderness Inventory Field Coordinator. The field coordinator will supervise four crew members working in two teams of two people each; be responsible for the safety of crew members; responsible for the quality of the inventory data collected along with crew logistics and regular data transfer. This person will work closely with the Executive Director of Friends of Nevada Wilderness on the specifics of the wilderness inventory. This position will be based in Reno, Nevada with roughly 75% field work and 25% office coordination. The Field Coordinator may also be conducting wilderness inventory with staff from the Nevada Wilderness project or Friends of Nevada Wilderness.
Location: The wilderness inventory crews will be conducting wilderness inventories primarily on Bureau of Land Management lands within the Battle Mountain District in central Nevada. Crew members will be working in various backcountry settings largely in Nye County. Due to the remote nature of the inventory units, camping will be required most nights during the week at undeveloped, backcountry areas. Occasional stays in a hotel for showers will be provided.
• Ability to safely and efficiently direct wilderness inventory crew members in remote locations following all safety guidelines.
• Ability to ensure the wilderness inventory is conducted consistent with the requirements in the BLM’s Conducting Wilderness Character Inventory Manual and ensure the data collected is consistent among crew members.
• Ability to provide your own personal camping equipment along with appropriate field clothing.
• Experience with previous wilderness inventories is required. The wilderness inventory will be conducted using BLM’s Conducting Wilderness Character Inventory Manual on BLM Lands, 6310.
• Supervisory experience is required with a strong emphasis on field safety and group dynamics.• Map reading will be essential along with knowledge of how to use various handheld devices such as I-pads, GPS, digital cameras, etc.
• Level of physical fitness for inventory work will entail hiking up to ten miles per day.
• Valid driver’s license with a good driving record and back country driving experience with 4X4 vehicles.
• 18 years of age or older.
$20 hourly rate. There are no benefits or overtime associated with this position. A truck will be provided for official use.